there's no place like home

11:49 AM Marcie 1 Comments

Brace yourself. This post is a bit nostalgic.

A few weeks ago I went home. Where is home? Good question. I call several places home (Virginia, St. George, Provo, and this tiny apartment, to name a few). I have been quite the nomad recently. For those of you who don't know me too well, let me explain:

For the first 17 years of my life, I lived in the same house. 1558 Kingstream Circle. I grew up there with my 2 best friends in the whole world. Then, after my sophomore year of high school, we moved to St. George. I thought my life was ruined. I think it is so weird how I never moved once in 17 years, and in the past 3 years, my family and I have moved home bases almost 5 times.

I recently had the opportunity to go home to Virginia, and a few weekends after that, I went home to St. George. 2 homes that I love. I had some serious deja vu and realized that a lot has changed in the past few years. Here are a few things I learned about myself:

  1. No matter how many times I move, Herndon will always be my home. I grew up there. It feels like home as soon as I get off the plane.
  2. Life gets harder, not easier. Thinking about how I thought my life was over when I moved to St. George makes me laugh. Dear 17-year-old me, get over yourself.
  3. Each of my homes represents a stage of my life. I love that. Herndon, StG, the dorms, this apartment... they are all different chapters of my life. 
  4. You can make friends wherever you go. I wasted my junior year practically friendless because I refused to try to make friends. Once I got off my high horse and actually made some friends, I had the best senior year anyone could have asked for. When I moved into the BYU dorms, I was terrified I was going to have a re-run of my St. George experience. But let me assure you, I had actually grown up a tad since moving to St. George, and I quickly met the girls who I know will be some of my best friends til we get old and gray.
  5. You can make anywhere a home if you love it enough. A few months before we moved from Virginia, we sold our house. I moved in with the Turner family for 2 or 3 months as I finished up my sophomore year. I remember crying in their guest bedroom because I just wanted to go "home" (dramatic, I know - refer to #2). Turns out, the Turner home is one of my favorite homes now. Whenever I go to VA, I stay at their house. They let me stay in "my" guest bedroom and treat me like family.

My family and I like to joke that I am "homeless" now that my parents are headed out to Colombia for 3 years. Truth is, I have a lot of homes, and I can't wait to making Colombia my home for the summer!

1 comment:

  1. I love you :) I love that Herndon was our home together and that we could share a home for a little while!

    ReplyDelete