traditions

10:34 AM Marcie 2 Comments

There is a tradition here in the Colombia Cali mission that began long before the Prince era. Whenever there are missionaries finishing their mission, they come to the mission home for a lunch with our family and the office crew. Then they go around and tell us what they will miss and what they will not miss about their mission.

I feel it's only appropriate that I share a few of mine since I recently ended my time in the Colombia Cali mission.

What I will miss:

The office crew. These guys are so hilarious I can't get over it, and they know more English than they let on. I love how they call my mom "mom" in English. I love hearing their English "horror stories" of how scared they get when they have to call the parents of the North American missionaries who are going home, and they panic because they can't understand what they are saying when they start speaking too fast - hello, that is the story of my LIFE in Colombia. Elder "Alfo" Alfaro says the weirdest things in English like "we are not alone" and I die laughing - who is teaching him these things? P.S. whoever taught Elder Gallo the word "feisty," thank you. I also love that they are obsessed with the song Love Story meets Viva la Vida by Jon Schmidt. They begged me to play it for them, and you should have seen them dancing. I love when they come to our house and have ice cream, brownies, cookies, and pizza parties. Yes, pretty much whenever food is involved. It breaks my heart that I might never see them again.



How green it is here. I am obsessed with green. I think when I lived in Virginia I took it for granted because when I moved to Utah it pained me to live in the desert. Colombia is like Virginia on steroids. We're talking massive, never ending Andes mountain range, and I have never seen such beautiful scenery. It is breathtaking. It was so frustrating that no matter how hard I tried to take pictures, they never captured the beauty of Colombia.

Arequipe. Okay, why do we not have Arequipe in America. That stuff is golden. I love it almost as much as peanut butter. I would put it on ice cream, sandwiches, and brownies all the live long day if we had it.

Crepes & Waffles. Let me tell you, my friends. I have eaten at that restaurant three times now, and it is amazing as it sounds. We're talking dinner crepes, dessert crepes, dessert waffles, and entire dessert BOOK - not menu - with ice cream masterpieces. Someone please call Bogotá and tell them to come to America.


My parents. I don't know if any of you have left your parents for 3 years, but I am not looking forward to it. I already miss them terribly. I don't want to grow up. I don't know how to take care of adult things like cars and money. I feel like I have been thrown into the real world, and the worst part is that I don't have my mommy or daddy a phone call away. And that is all I will say because I want to cry every time I think about it.


What I will not miss:
Getting stared at by everyone who sees me, the language barrier, fearing for my life every time we drive in Cali, people telling me I look like I'm fourteen, not knowing what I'm eating, lack of cell phone/communication with friends in America, fear of getting Dengue every time I have a mosquito bite, possible cold showers, waking up at 3 AM to travel, and the fear of accidentally drinking unfiltered water via brushing my teeth or showering and dying.


My last night in Colombia I was treated to a song by the office crew. Of course, they were trying to make me cry, but it was still precious. I love them. I love Colombia. I miss it.

2 comments:

  1. There is such a GREAT spirit in the mission home/field. It is like nowhere else. Just remember - you can call me anytime!!!! Not quite like your mom (who know EVERYTHING about everything) but I will always consider you one of mine - so feel free to call away! :) You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. You are the cutest thing ever. I bet every Elder in that mission is in love with you. Hopefully I'll get to see you on campus soon!! Welcome back to Provo!

    ReplyDelete