shabbat and shawarma

6:19 AM Marcie Parson 1 Comments

The weekend in a nutshell: exploring the city, watching the sun set over the old city, sabbath on saturday, taking the sacrament overlooking the place where the atonement really happened, my life forever changed because of my visit to the garden tomb after church, walking the via delarosa, seeing the western wall, still in awe over the beauty of the dome of the rock, eating my first shawarma and falafel.

I love the feeling of this city. There are so many religions and ethnicities here, and despite the political tension, each religious site is treated with such respect and reverence. It's humbling to see people on their knees, in tears, kissing the ground in front of their religious site even though we don't believe the same things. It just seems like Americans are so much less religious than the rest of the world.

I can't even begin to explain how incredible the sabbath is here! I took the sacrament looking over the city and could not stop thinking, "this is where it happened, this is where it happened," over and over again. Wow. We walked to the garden tomb, and it honestly changed my life forever. I can't believe I am feeling this way, and it has only been 5 days. I can't wait to see what the next 4 months have in store for me!

1 comment:

  1. I want to cry as I read your post. So true, there is nothing like the Sabbath in Jerusalem. I totally cried the first week I was back home in church because it isn't as good. It's just not. Live it up girl! I am loving the posts. If you find the gelato shops in west jru, eat some for me. Shalom Shalom

    ReplyDelete