engaged

12:20 AM Marcie Parson 6 Comments

I'm in love! I'm in love! and I don't care who knows it!



Sometimes people ask me how we met, and let's face it, I never give a good answer. So here's my attempt to gather my thoughts into a coherent story:

I first saw Craig on a gigantic group date (yes, it really was gigantic - 40 people) in December of 2011. He doesn't remember me, but I remember thinking how lucky my friend was to have the most attractive date there. After the date, I went off to Jerusalem for a semester, and meanwhile Craig became friends with my girlfriends who threw the party. I came home and we were introduced at several different gatherings with the same friends.

I was awkward and only knew how to talk about Jerusalem. He was preparing to leave for medical school and didn't want to date.

He miraculously decided to get my number and ask me out. He was hooked from the start, I wasn't, and I made it very clear (forgive me for my poor judgment). He had given up on me and was planning on never seeing me again. He had a trip planned to California that overlapped with my trip to Nicaragua, which overlapped with his big move to Arizona. It seemed impossible to see each other ever again. For some reason he decided to see me one more time before he left for California, and that night I suddenly realized I had made a big mistake. What had I been thinking?! He was perfect! But by then it was too late; we had run out of time, and he left.

After some coaxing from a friend (God bless you Madylyn Thorn), he came back from California early to see me one last time before I went to Nicaragua. We kissed. A few days later I left for Nicaragua for the rest of the summer.

We emailed back and forth and skyped every Sunday. It was tricky. By the time I came back he had left for med school. I didn't know where we were at. It was all so confusing. How do you start dating someone long distance when you've only dated in person for a few days? He came to visit me in Provo. It seemed complicated, and I still wasn't sure about the whole long distance commitment. He was ever so patient with me as I tried to figure it out.

He left and something changed. Then I drove down to Arizona to visit him. The day I left I looked at him and thought, "I think I might marry him."

But then it was my turn to be patient. I fell for him quickly and it took quite some time for Craig to get on the same page as me. In fact, it took almost 10 months of long-distance dating, 3 months of being together in Provo, and 1 month after I had moved to Arizona for him.

But trust me, it was well worth the wait.


I think 14 months of patience calls for a short engagement, don't you?
See you all in St. George on November 16th.

Why yes, that makes our engagement just 4 days shy of two months. 
Say what you will, but I can't wait to be a Parson.

6 comments:

  1. THIS IS SO PERFECT OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!
    I WANT TO COME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this :) Thanks for posting your story!! And as far as short engagements...I think you're brilliant for doing it that way. You'd regret it if you didn't, I promise! :) So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIl and I are seriously considering coming down for the reception!!!! I am so happy for you Marcie :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ!!! You just made my night! I certainly hope you two can make it! I would LOVE to see you there!

      Delete