Baby Max arrives!

10:17 AM Marcie Parson 2 Comments

Max Jonathan Parson arrived on Monday, July 27 at 7:24 AM. It was the most incredible experience. I am overwhelmed with love and gratitude, and still in shock that I was physically capable of such a thing.

At 39 weeks I asked my doctor when he would consider inducing. He told me that because I was already dilated 3 cm and progressing so well, he would induce me the next week if I wanted -- hooray! I was so sick of being pregnant. I was scheduled to be induced on my due date at 3 AM, checking in at 1:30. 

We were so excited/anxious that we could hardly sleep the night before. I finally fell asleep around 10 PM and woke up exactly at midnight with contractions. CONTRACTIONS! It's like Baby knew his due date had arrived. I got up and started gathering my things just in case these were the real deal. I hadn't had any Braxton Hicks so I wasn't sure right away, but it was soon obvious these were real -- they were coming about 2.5 minutes apart (!!) and weren't going away.

We arrived at the hospital at 1 AM, only 30 minutes before our scheduled induction. We checked in and a nurse in triage checked my cervix - I was dilated 4 cm, 90% effaced, and in +1. Getting checked was excruciating. In fact, it was the most painful part of the whole labor and delivery. She said Baby's head had dropped but my cervix was behind it, and well, let's just leave it at that. It was so painful that it immediately made me lightheaded and nauseated. The nurse left and I briefly considered running out after her to throw up, but I was paralyzed by dizziness. It is truly a miracle that I didn't pass out or throw up.

They checked us into our room, and around 2:20 they placed an IV (one of my biggest fears) for fluids and pitocin to augment my labor. Combining the pain of my contractions (which were quite strong by now) with my fear of needles made placing the IV awful. I was so glad when it was over, but of course just thinking about it hooked up to me freaks me out, so I didn't look at it once all day.

I asked for an epidural, and by the time the anesthesiologist got there, I was shaking uncontrollably. I thought that maybe it was just nerves and pain, but the nurses told me that it was mostly due to hormones. I survived the epidural (no thanks to the shaking/pain/fear of needles/tears). The violent shaking/shivering eventually slowed but didn't completely stop until the following day. It seemed to take forever for the epidural to work. They gave it to me around 2:45, but it took another 30-45 minutes for the pain to go away, and I had to give myself extra doses. Once it kicked in, it was AMAZING. Natural births are NOT for me.

We tried to rest. Craig took a few naps and I read my book. I could still feel the pressure (no pain) of each contraction, so I couldn't sleep. Plus, I WAS ABOUT TO HAVE A BABY! How do you sleep at a time like that? Around 6:15 I was checked again. I had dilated to 7 cm! My water still had not broken, and I was still a +1. 

They called Doctor Lythgoe and he arrived around 7 am. From that point on, everything happened so fast it felt like a dream. Not that it was chaotic at all - everything was so calm - it just happened so easily and unexpectedly quickly. He checked me and said he felt NO cervix -- I had completely dilated to a 10! He broke my water and had me do two "practice pushes." I couldn't really feel anything and had no idea what I was doing, but he said that Baby's head was coming! He asked me if I wanted to see and I said absolutely not (YIKES). Three more nurses came in and I pushed. About 10 minutes later, there suddenly was a big baby boy.

I sobbed. Uncontrollable hormones at it again. I couldn't believe I did it. I couldn't believe it was over already. I couldn't believe he was here! I was completely overwhelmed.

Max weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs 8 oz and measured 20.25 inches. No one could believe how BIG he was! In fact, the doctor himself was off by a whole 2 lbs! He thought by the way I looked that Baby would be 6.5 lbs. I looked at Max and wondered how in the world I did that.

All my baby fears were washed away once he arrived. 
We love our little Mighty Max and can't believe he is ours.


  1. Way to go Marcie! I had that same shaking/shivering thing! I had no idea that could happen! It was crazy. And didn't go away for over 24 hours after I had him! He's beautiful! Congrats!

  2. Crying! It just hits so close to home! Yay for the healthy (and speedy!!) delivery!