September

3:30 PM Marcie Parson 0 Comments

September was another gorgeous month with an easy IM rotation for Craig. We have really lucked out with some good scheduling so far, although I know he will be swamped with hard rotations at the end of the year. I'm trying to soak up our time together as much as I can and really take advantage of it by exploring parks and restaurants and "Denver things" as often as possible!

This area is just FULL of parks. Everyone is always outdoors, which I absolutely LOVE about Colorado. One weekend we went out to Red Rocks to do a little hike and check out the famous amphitheater... which apparently is the world's largest gym on the weekends. We did not expect to find so many classes/runners/people working out on these stairs! The area is so much like southern Utah, except for the fact that is literally is a random slice of red rocks sticking out of the green Rocky mountains.



We've ventured into Denver a few times for museums and parks and such. We visited the Denver Botanic Gardens which really blew me away! They have the most darling children's gardens with some really fun interactive activities for kids. Max of course loved splashing in the stream the most, but he also loved the greenhouse and the Chipotle-sponsored gardens with the little play kitchen. We will definitely be back.

One day Craig joined us downtown for Civic Center Eats -- a lunchtime food truck rally right in front of the State Capital. They had some really great food and corn hole at the park! We walked over to explore the 16th Street Mall, which is literally a portion of 16th street that is foot-traffic only. Denver has much more of a big city feel than Phoenix, and it has been really fun to explore.


Last weekend we drove up the mountains looking for some fall leaves. This side of the mountains is so different than what I am used to from living in Utah Valley. There you look up and the mountains are RIGHT there. Here, the mountains build gradually. You have to drive through the foothills to reach the big ones. Although they are much bigger than the mountains in Utah, it's hard to tell because they are so far away and you have to drive so high up to get there! On this drive we went up the Guanella Pass, a little scenic byway that goes from Grant to Georgetown. We were not nearly prepared enough for the weather we found up there... but what did we expect at 11,000 ft?? It was gorgeous and was fun to get a taste of Fall before it hit Denver.




It didn't take me long to fall in love with Colorado! I'm already sad to have to leave next year. We've made some really good friends, and Max and I have had a lot of fun playing and exploring during the week. Now I just need to convince Craig that we should come back here someday...




This month Max turned 14 months! He officially has five teeth and more on the way. He can say up, down (dow), woah, water (wawa), and outside (ahh-si). He signs please, thank you, and outside. He can now do new animal sounds for horse, snake, sheep, goat, and cat. He has started to love to read which is SO fun for me -- I have been waiting for this since he was a baby (he used to swat away books whenever I'd try to read them)! He will now bring me a book and sit on my lap to read. His favorites are his hippo book (Hippos Go Berserk!) and Where the Wild Things Are (duh... a book about Max). He loves when we sing songs, especially Patty Cake and Itsy Bitsy Spider (he can do the itsy bitsy part). He is still obsessed with dogs and loves to watch the neighbors walk their dogs from our windows (woof woof is his favorite animal sound).


He is still just as high-energy and destructive to our house, pulling out pots and pans from the kitchen, toiletries from the bathroom, and food from the pantry. He'd much rather play in the kitchen than with his toys, and if I'm attempting to make dinner, he MUST be at my level so he can watch. Whenever Craig comes home and he hears the door start to unlock, his face LIGHTS up and he runs to see him. He absolutely has to be outside at some point during the day, and he will even bring me his shoes when he's decided it's time. He loves to give high-fives and knuckles, and is learning to kick and throw his new balls!


He's turning into a full-fledged boy and his energy level just keeps going higher higher. Some days I feel like toddlerhood is kicking my butt, but it's usually on those same days that I have an almost out-of-body experience where I look at him and fill to the brim with love. Sometimes it's the second I say goodnight and he waves at me and says ni-ni. Sometimes it's only one second after some kind of disaster and then he'll bring me a book and climb up on my lap and snuggle up next to me. Parenthood is SO emotional. Exhausting as it is, I can't think of a single thing more rewarding or fulfilling. So everyone should have babies. The end.

0 comments: