December

12:02 PM Marcie Parson 0 Comments

When Craig started his intern year, he lucked out with easy rotations as far as hours go. December was the first month that he had a tough schedule as he was doing internal medicine at the hospital. He worked 12 straight days, 2 days off, repeat. This meant he even worked through Christmas. I think what made it so exhausting was just the number of days in a row he worked. Yes, his hours were long (about 12 hours a day), but it was mostly the fact that he had no weekends that wore us down! I think it's safe to say he isn't changing his mind to internal medicine.

On that first week in December I took Max to our library for "a visit with Santa." It was actually SO cute. They had Santa come and sing a few songs with the kids, tell them the 'Twas the Night Before Christmas story, and answer any questions they had. Then each kid had a "visit" with Santa, and the rest of us did crafts and a photo booth while we waited. Max was at the end, which I thought was the perfect amount of time for him to watch everyone else sit on Santa's lap and get used to the idea. He kept running into the room and pointing at "Tanta." Of course, when it was our turn, he had a colossal meltdown, even when I held him. Apparently he really loves "Tanta," but only from a distance.

The next weekend I snuck away to Salt Lake for a quick Pinners training. Max was a pretty good traveler -- thank heavens, because I usually get anxiety about traveling solo with him leading up to the trip. It was super fun to stay with Lisa & Ryan (Ryan watched THREE babies while we went to the training)! We went to Seven Peaks' "North Pole" experience which was SO fun!  Christmas lights, Santa, bumper boats, train ride, and food trucks! I feel like they don't have anything like that near us in Colorado.

This was Max's face the entire boat ride and train ride. 

We had to, right? They'll love this when they are teenagers.
When we came back we spent a day at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science on its free day! I seriously could not love that museum any more. It is so fun for kids. I only wish that it wasn't so expensive on regular days so I could go more often! We came here right after we moved and Max was about 12 months. He hadn't really gotten the hang of walking down so I carried him in a pack. This time Max was running through the Dinosaur room yelling "RAAAAAA" and it was just so hilarious. The toddler area is incredible and we could have probably spent all day at the water table. I love exploring Denver with this little guy.
Literally running through this entire exhibit



We went with Jessica & Briella Craig!

Water table king
We had our first Denver snow day this month and took Max out to experience the snow! They didn't last long (I say they because I stayed inside and took pictures from the window), because it was single digit weather, but it was fun to see Max experiencing the snow for the first time!

Because of Craig's schedule, we couldn't travel anywhere for the holidays. This wouldn't have been a big deal if he didn't have to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but since he had NO breaks the week before and after Christmas, it was pretty miserable. All of my friends had gone out of town for the holidays, so it was just Max and me most of the time, and it just really didn't feel like Christmas at all.

So we planned a few fun things to do after Craig got home from work. One night we went to Hudson Gardens in Littleton, which was our replacement of temple lights (it was the first time in my life that I realized there are only 5 temples with lights!! WHAT! It just so happens that I've always lived near one of those temples up until now. I've been so spoiled). Hudson Gardens was actually really amazing! Sure, we paid like $15 to get in, but it was really well done. It was a pretty big event center and it took us about 30 minutes to walk around and see everything. We loved the lights and music.

On Christmas Eve Craig got off a little early, so we really wanted to go out and do something "Christmasy." I really wanted to go ice skating but we couldn't really figure out how to do that with Max. He's too little for skates and too big for our carrier. So we went bowling. Super Christmasy, I know. But it was pretty fun. I'm just as horrible as I've always been, but Max did pretty well so I'll call it a successful family activity. That night we even made homemade pizza, a Prince tradition that has pretty easily become a Parson tradition. We put Max to bed and stayed up watching Christmas movies and wrapping presents.


On Christmas Day, Max woke up early (it's like he knew Santa came)! So we actually got to have a "Christmas morning," which I was pretty worried about because of Craig's schedule. Like every other day in December, Max wanted to see the tree first thing when he woke up, but this time there were presents! We gave him an old school fisher price popper, and I left it unwrapped with a big bow on it. He went STRAIGHT to it and started popping all over our house. It was SO funny. It seriously made me so happy to see how much he loved it. It was something unlike anything I've felt before. I was so happy to give him something that I KNEW he would love, and then seeing how happy it made him was the icing on the cake. He loves that thing.
All of our Christmas morning pictures are this blurry. Max was a madman.

His favorite present: a new toothbrush

I think this picture is hilarious.
We opened the rest of our presents and stockings (Mega Bloks and a puzzle for Max), and I looked at the clock and told Craig he better get ready for work. And then he told me--he wasn't going in. I was in SHOCK! Apparently the day before, the kind, kind doctor he was working with told him not to come in. I was seriously almost in tears I was so happy. It was a true Christmas miracle and the BEST Christmas present I could have been given.

The rest of Christmas day was 1,000x better than what I had imagined, although we didn't do anything extraordinary. It was just so so special to me that we got to be together. We went to church (I accompanied the musical numbers for the second week in a row), came home and made abilskivers (another Prince Christmas tradition that Craig now loves), went to dinner at our friends', and watched lots of Christmas movies.


Craig worked the next four days and ended his rotation with the last two days of the month off. The first two weeks of January he has an away rotation scheduled in Missouri, so we lived it up and got babysitters both days. We went to the temple on Friday and saw La La Land on Saturday, which by the way, may be one of my favorite movies of all time. Also, that movie theater had COMPLIMENTARY popcorn and drinks so we'll be returning.

It turned out to be such a magical Christmas. When people would find out that we weren't spending Christmas with our families, they'd tell me how "special" it would be and what a "fun memory" it would be to have Christmas just the three of us. And I rolled my eyes because in what world is Craig working on Christmas "special" or "fun?" But after our little Christmas miracle, I think it's safe to say I will always remember this Christmas.


0 comments: